UFX Series A USB flash drive without the headaches.
UFX Memory Tokens
UFX RUGGEDrive™ memory tokens provide USB flash drive functionality, come with a USB 2.0 Hi-Speed interface and are available in capacities from 4 -64 GB. They have several advantages over consumer USB flash drives, which make them ideally suited for embedded applications outside of the consumer market:
- Ultra-Rugged Construction - The UFX token uses solid over-molded construction, making it impervious to liquids and virtually crush-proof.
- Security Features - The unique form factor of the token means that the UFX token won't plug-in to standard ports found on a PC. Further, each token contains a non-changeable, unique serial number that can be used to identify/authenticate the user. It can also be used to encrypt the onboard data. Finally, unlike many consumer USB flash drives, the UFX has a fixed USB Vendor ID and Product ID that can also be used for authentication. We can even issue you your own unique USB Product ID number.
- High Cycle Life Contacts - Most USB connectors are rated for only 1,500 insertion/removal cycles. At just 10 cycles per day, that connector will only last for 5 months! The contacts on the UFX token are rated for at least 10,000 insertion/removal cycles. At the same rate, the UFX token will still be going strong after 33 months!
There are over two-dozen receptacles to choose from when incorporating a UFX RUGGEDrive memory token into an embedded design. Choose from board-mount or panel-mount receptacles. The panel-mount receptacles offer models with IP65 or IP67 ratings, for applications that require ingress protection. We also offer models that incorporate design elements to reduce electromagnetic emissions. Like the UFX memory token, the UFX receptacles offer several advantages over traditional USB type A connectors:
- IP65- and IP67-Rated Receptacles - The UR4310 and UR4410 panel-mount receptacles are available in IP65 and IP67 versions and feature a 5-pin header that allows commercially-available cables to connect the receptacle to either a USB type A receptacle or a 5-pin USB header found on some motherboards and single-board-computers.
- Increased Security and Lower Support Costs - Because a standard USB connector is not used, your embedded device is at much less risk from viruses and malware, since USB flash drives won't plug in to a RUGGEDrive™ receptacle. This also reduces your support costs and eliminates the need to support every USB device that a user could potentially plug in (both now and in the future).
- High Cycle Life Contacts - Most USB connectors are rated for only 1,500 insertion/removal cycles. At just 10 cycles per day, that connector will only last for 5 months! The contacts on the RUGGEDrive receptacles are rated for at least 50,000 insertion/removal cycles. At the same rate, these receptacles will still be going strong after 13 years!
UFX PC Adapter
The UFX PC adapter allows users to transfer data from a UFX RUGGEDrive memory token to a PC (or vice versa) through a standard USB type A port. Simply plug the UFX token into the adapter and then plug the adapter into the computer's USB port. The operating system will then recognize it as a USB flash drive.
It should be noted that we only sell our products to our qualified OEM customers, and our products are not available through retailers or the major electronic distributors. This means that you are in control of who gets the PC adapters.
UFX Development Kits
If you are considering a UFX RUGGEDrive™ solution for an embedded application, consider purchasing one of our UFX development kits. Each kit comes with:
- 2 - UFX memory tokens
- 1 - UFX PC adapter
- 1 - SR4220PCB board-mount receptacle
- 1 - UR4210 panel-mount receptacle
- 1 - 5-pin header to 5-pin header USB cable
- 1 - 5-pin header to USB type A cable